It looked dirty but not too bad. I pulled the bobbin plate aside and saw it's an oscillating hook. Turned the balance wheel and things moved the way they should. I thought it was a 15-91. I read some the day before about these machines. The 15-91 and 201 have the same motor. This could be a parts machine. It seemed in good shape. The wiring is new except to the motor. A spool pin is missing and the stitch regulator screw. The cabinet needs a new finish. The whole thing is grubby, but not bad otherwise.
I couldn't find the price and asked. $24.99. It's coming home with me. The parts on this machine are worth more than that.
I can work on cleaning up this sewing machine while my 201 is out. I don't have to worry about messing up anything while I learn about all the parts and how to clean and fix them.
The first thing I did when I got the thing home was check the wiring to the motor. Amazingly it looks original but in very good condition. No cracks or frays, nothing. I plugged the machine in. It starts--its running--it slows down. Thats ok it looks dirty and is probably gummed up. I check online and it is the Singer 15-91.
My dad happens to stop by and I have him look at the wiring. He is surprised at how good it looks too. He fiddles with it and says it looks fine.
Now all I have to do is get cleaning. This next photo shows the motor without the cover and a look inside the back of the machine. I unscrewed the light too--its lying there. The face plate is brownish with grime.
I spent the evening looking up information about these old machines and how to refurbish them. There isn't much available. Sew-Classic has reviews of both the 201 and 15-91 plus a comparison of them. ISMACS has some great information as well as Treadleon. Here's another site with some information and that sells parts.