These were so much fun to make that I'm definitely going to make more. I think this is the sort of sewing where you can try out techniques that you normally might not do. I wear more tailored clothing but can have all sorts of fun using lace and such on underthings. I intend to make the slip from this pattern as soon as I decide what fabric I want it out of.
If you aren't familiar with tap pants think of them as girlie boxers. Actually don't- that description doesn't flatter them -they're more refined. I made these out of white cotton batiste using Folkwear 219 Intimacies. The pattern recommended French seams and I couldn't imagine them having anything else so that's what I did.
If you follow the directions these are super quick to sew -- Unlike me who made perfectly beautiful French seams that were 5/8 inch instead of the 1/2 inch they were supposed to be. And then discovered I had sewn the fronts and backs together wrong. That pair is making a nice sewing machine cover at the moment. I cut out another pair and wrote left front, right front, left back, right back on the wrong sides of each. After that everything went well.
They have a bias band at the waist:There is a placket with snaps on the left side.
I decided I wanted a white embroidered scalloped edge for the hem. This may shock and dismay some of my readers who didn't see some of my older posts and only know me for using vintage sewing machines, but I do own a modern sewing machine. One of those expensive embroidery ones. Hey, my mother gave it to me --I wasn't about to say No! The Husband crawled under my sewing table to get it out for me. And that should show you how much I use it! Yes, even with such a machine I prefer my vintage ones. They're stitching is better and I feel like I have more control. But today I want an embroidered scallop:
While I had my thoroughly modern machine out I set it for an S monogram. I do love monogrammed items. (And was too lazy to hand embroider one).They fit nicely and are comfortable, but I think I might add about a 1/2 inch to the back crotch seam when I make the next pair. I thought they could use the tiniest bit more room along that seam.