Wednesday, July 6, 2011
Another 60's Dress with my TNT pattern
I've used Simplicity 7120 before with success. In fact, the dresses I made with it last year are beginning to look a little worn because I wear them so much. This time I thought I might try View 2 in the center.
Remember how I don't use prints much? Partly because I tend to like wild prints while I look better in solids. Nevertheless I bought this:
I saw it last year at Hancocks and liked it but never bought any. When I saw it half price (and I had a 10% off coupon) back on Memorial Day I liked it even more. I bought three yards which of course is too much for a sleeveless 1960's dress since they only take about two.
It might be a bit much, but I really like this dress!
No good photos of me in it - which is usual lately. My husband snapped a few on his phone but this is the only one that wasn't blurry. It's an ungainly shot of me in the book store bending down to get at the sewing magazines which are kept on the back of the bottom shelf. Is sewing so unpopular?!
I did my usual changes-- lowered the waist dart points an inch, added to the hips. I also lowered the front neckline an inch. Despite the pattern saying it was the lower neck version it was still too high. I bet the higher neck version is a real choking dress!
I don't mind neck facings but I dislike armhole facings, especially if they're together. Instead I used a bias strip I made with red cotton for the armholes. Sometimes I use it on the neckline too but not this time. I also trimmed the top of the armholes back about half an inch on top but not at the bottom -- I tapered it as I came around. Sixties dresses sometimes come too far off the shoulder for me.
I'm still on this 60's dress kick so there will be more.